CARLSBAD FORTUNETELLING ORDINANCE
APPLICABLE TO PRU CALABRESE
(AKA PRUDENCE JENCKA, AKA PRUDENCE CRAW)
Title 5. BUSINESS LICENSES & REGULATIONS
Chapter 5.50. FORTUNETELLING & RELATED OCCUPATIONS, Ord. 6077 § 2 (part) (1985)
For the purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section, unless from the context a different or contrary meaning is clearly intended:
(a) "For pay" shall mean for a fee, reward, donation, loan, or receipt or anything of value.
(b) "Fortunetelling" shall mean telling of fortunes, forecasting of futures or furnishing of any information not otherwise obtainable by the ordinary process of knowledge by means of any occult, psychic power, faculty, force, clairvoyance, clairaudience, cartomancy, psychology, psychometry, phrenology, spirits, tea leaves or other such reading, mediumship, seership, prophecy, augury, astrology, palmistry, necromancy, mindreading, telepathy, or other craft, art, science, cards, talisman, charm, potion, magnetism, magnetized article or substance, gypsy cunning or foresight, crystal gazing, oriental mysteries or magic of any kind or nature.
(c) "Fortunetellers" means persons engaged in the business of fortunetelling.
5.50.020 Permit required
No person shall conduct, engage in, carry on, participate in, advertise or practice fortunetelling or cause the same to be done for pay without having first obtained a permit from the chief of police AND a business license from the license collector. Any permit issued pursuant to this chapter shall be valid for one year from the date of issuance unless suspended or revoked.
5.50.030 Permit application
Each application for a fortunetelling permit shall be submitted to the chief of police on a form provided by the police chief and shall contain the following information:
(1) The name, home and business address and home and business phone number of the applicant;
(2) A record of convictions of violations of law of the applicant and of any person who is employed by the applicant to conduct or conducts fortunetelling on behalf of the applicant;
(3) A set of fingerprints and current photograph of the applicant and of any person who is employed by the applicant to conduct or conducts fortunetelling on behalf of the applicant;
(4) The address, city and state, and approximate dates where and when the applicant and any person employed by the applicant to conduct or conducting fortunetelling on behalf of the applicant practiced a similar business either alone or in conjunction with others;
(5) A site plan showing the location of the business and the interior layout;
(6) An application fee of one hundred fifty dollars.
5.50.040 Permit investigation
Upon receipt of a complete application and fee the police chief shall, within a reasonable period of time not to exceed thirty days, conduct an investigation to verify the facts contained in the application and shall grant a fortunetelling permit if he makes all of the following findings:
(1) That all the information contained in the application and supporting data is true;
(2) The applicant or any person employed by the applicant to conduct or conducting fortunetelling on behalf of the applicant has not, within the previous two years, been convicted of any violation of this chapter or any law relating to fraud or moral turpitude;
(3) The applicant agrees to abide by and comply with all conditions of the permit and applicable laws;
(4) The land use planning manager has certified that the business location complies with the provisions of Title 21 of this code.
5.50.050 Fee required
A fortunetelling permit shall be issued only after the applicant has paid the license fee required by Section 5.08.160.
5.50.060 Term of the permit
A fortunetelling permit shall be valid for the same period of time and shall run concurrently with the term of the regular business license issued for the fortunetelling business.
5.50.070 Revocation of permit
A fortunetelling permit may be revoked at any time by the chief of police after providing not less than ten days' notice and a hearing to the applicant. A permit may be revoked if the applicant or any person employed by the applicant to conduct or conducting fortunetelling on behalf of the applicant violates any provision of this chapter or, if during the permit period, any event occurs which would disqualify the applicant from the issuance of a permit.
5.50.080 Renewal of fortunetelling license
If on or before the forty-fifth day prior to the expiration of a currently valid fortunetelling permit the permittee applies for the renewal of the permit the police chief shall grant such renewal, provided he finds that all the facts set forth in the original application are substantially the same and provided that such application is accompanied by a fee in the amount of fifty dollars, no part of which is refundable. If all facts set forth in the original application are not substantially the same, the applicant for renewal shall comply with all requirements set forth in the chapter for an initial application for a permit.
5.50.090 Issuance of permit after revocation
If a permittee has had a permit revoked under Section 5.50.070 of this chapter, a new permit shall not be issued unless the permittee qualifies for a new permit under this chapter and in addition posts with the city clerk a surety bond in the principal amount of five thousand dollars executed as surety by good and sufficient corporate surety doing business in the state and as a principle by the applicant. The form of the bond shall be approved by the city attorney and shall be given to ensure good faith and fair dealing on the part of the applicant as a guarantee of indemnity for any and all loss, damage, theft or other unfair dealing suffered by any patron or customer of the applicant within the city during the term of the permit.
See Carlsbad Municipal Code
To determine whether Prudence Calabrese (AKA Prudence Jencka, AKA Prudence Craw) has a current fortunetelling license, contact:
Carlsbad Police Department
2560 Orion Way
Carlsbad, California 92008
© 2003-2004 Pru Watch. All rights reserved.